BRUTUS AND THE COLLAR
On our way to the Durban
show weekend, in July, Brutus started to vomit when we reached
Harrismith. At the show on the Friday morning we realised that he
is very sick and we needed to get him to a Vet.
Veterinary Hospital we came to the shocking discovery that he had
swallowed some foreign object and that is was obstructing his
intestines. The Vet on call said to Ansa and Louis that had they
brought him in later that day it would have been to late. The Vet
did an emergency operation on him, and removed the object. We went
to visit him every evening after the show, the prognosis was not
good and the Vet gave him a 50/50 change of recovering.
This was the most difficult
show weekend in our career. We wanted our other dogs to perform
well but on the other side we wanted to be with Brutus at the
On the Sunday after the show
the Vet would not let Brutus leave to go back to Pretoria with us,
and we stayed another night. On the Monday at 5 pm the vet cleared
Brutus for the trip. You could see that he was happy to be with us
but not all was well with him.
Back in Pretoria Ansa and I
took him to our local vet, he was happy with his progress and we had
to watch him. The Wednesday he started to vomit again and he gave
us a big fright. Our vet then put him under 24 hours surveillance
and we could not leave him on his own for a minute. Luckily Ansa
works from home and she watched him, if she had to go out Brutus
came to visit Louis and I.
It is now 2 months later and
Brutus recovered fully. We are very happy that he was given back to
us to show and love.
The object that he had swallowed
was a collar of one of the puppies. Please let this be a warning to
anybody that owns a Stafford, they will eat and swallow anything.